Sunday 12 October 2014

Reportage - Week Two

Week two and everything seems to have just clicked into place. I realize now that what I need to do is just draw and not to think to much about it. I have stuck mostly with the fine liner as my primary tool but have added some colour to my work.

  

 
 
 
The fine liner I feel works very well with the water colours. I've tried to keep the addition of colour as subtle as possible, so they compliment the monochrome of the black ink which has also been washed lightly with water to blend it. The result is a much softer line and subtle midtones that blend into the shadows.
 
 
Times Square by Greg Betza
 
 
The above picture comes from Greg Betza who captured this scene during a traffic free day in Times Square. I adore the way he's used the colour to highlight the part of the scene where the colour is at its brightest, in this case it is the posters and lights that adorn the square. (I'm fairly sure that one of the posters is for Wicked and Phantom of the Opera, and to be able to pick that out just shows the skill of the artist and the level of detail he was able to capture.)
 
The rest of the picture is the simplicity of the black ink on white paper. He's captured the motion of the scene very well and it gives a sensation of being a busy, living, breathing street. The piece is quite simply brilliant.
 
It was hard going, but I got the full ten sketch books filled! I really feel this exercise has helped me tremendously with my drawing. Even though this particular module is now technically over, I find myself looking around for interesting places to sit and sketch.
 
Reportage became some-what tedious and I won't lie, I'm glad its over! But I look at my work and I feel very proud of (some) of the pieces. Almost all of the subjects and settings are things I would have never considered as material for my work, but I now realize that all these things and places are part of a world I may one day be asked to capture in a drawing.
 







 
 
 Above are some examples from my sketch books. Below are work from the Still life workshops we've had during these first two weeks also.
 



 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment