Tuesday 21 October 2014

Animals - Week Two

After drawing for a full week its time to start thinking about designing and completing my final pieces for the module.

We are tasked with completing five sketchbooks (all containing the animal studies we've been working on) as well as four A3 finished pieces. (This amount was negotiable, so long as the total paper size amounted to 4xA3. In my case I have decided to do 1xA2 and 2xA3.)

The completed works have to depict a mythical creature we have designed. This is easier said that done as throughout history, every possible weird and wonderful combination of the animal kingdom seems to have been done.

Still onward and upwards.



This feathered Monkey was the first idea I had. I loved drawing the Baboons back in week one, so it made sense to incorporate a primate into my finished work. I'm very fond of the smaller monkey breeds, those often found jumping through the tree tops, their aerobatics are quite spectacular to watch.

Many smaller creatures (like the flying fox) likely evolved into their ability to glide by starting out as jumpers, with this in mind, I decided to give this monkey feathers, bright a colourful as the parrots they share their jungle home with.

 
 

This is the completed design. Its A3 and painted using Gouache.



For my second piece I wanted to create something very large. I love owls and I adore how regal a stag can appear with that crown of antlers. So I endeavored to put the two together.


And this was the result. It took a phenomenal amount of time to complete, the antlers alone taking two hours to shade, to give the effect that they are so large, that they are more like colossal trees reaching out towards the sky. I added two normal size trees at its feet upon the cliff its perched on, in the hopes it would better communicate its actual size in comparison to the world around it.

No comments:

Post a Comment