Saturday 8 November 2014

People and Characters - Week Two

During the last half of the first week me and my fellow group members began to draw our chosen designs on the wall. It was a little difficult for us all to get into the small space to complete the first stages of our work, but some how we managed with spirits and optimism still quite high.

 

Everyone chipping in to buy some paint.

Preparing the canvas.
Connor sketching out his character.


 With so many of us trying to work on such a small space, we have to take turns adding to the wall.
 
Once the preliminary sketches in pencil were done, we set about finalizing the design and making them bolder with ink.
 
At this stage our plan was to paint the entire scene in colour, sticking to the warmer shades of red, orange and yellow, in keeping with the fiery pits of hell theme. However, two members of the group had a change of heart about this plan just as paint was about to be applied. It was felt that there would not be enough time to paint the entire wall, but there was a lack of communication and not everyone was aware of the change in direction. As a result, paint was applied regardless, sticking to the original colour scheme. I feel it was at this point, when one member in particular, took issue with the work so far and interest on both sides seemed to wane.
 

Acrylic colour being added
 
Work continued, but there was a definite rift in the group, one that wasn't easily smoothed over. It became very difficult to focus on the piece as comments from one particular member were very negative.
 

Connor adding another scene on the ceiling.
The week seemed to drag on and more and more I wished it was over. I wasn't enjoying the work and started to feel very unhappy with our piece. All I could think about was what a huge mistake we had made by painting the wall white. We should have painted it a warmer shade of orange or red, that way we would have had the mid-tones in there already and not as much would have needed to be painted. It was frustrating me that I had this eureka moment a week too late.


My lino-print designs, testing before being transferred to the wall.
 
 
 


 
The finished wall, looks decidedly unfinished. I would have liked to have tried to paint the entire thing but the general feelings from the rest of the group was that it wasn't possible.

The entire experience has taught me a lot about the importance of planning and adequate preparation. I feel we were too eager to begin the process without having discussed and thought it through better. Had we done this we might have gained a better understanding about what everyone in the group wanted to do, instead we winged it and a few members vision of the work clashed. This led to an awkward situation and a severe lack of communication. I myself found it very difficult to talk about what we could do to put the project back on track, I was met with shrugs, muttered declarations of not really caring and an over-all desire to be done with it.

Over-all I have enjoyed most of this experience and while I'm disappointed with the finished result I feel better prepared for the next group task. I'm not prepared to see a repeat of the same problems.


No comments:

Post a Comment